Tuesday, May 18, 2010

farmers dinner... food coma...

Last night was a night I wish I had taken photo's of. It was a simple night, like many nights filled with the normalness of family.

I got home from work and we all piled into our new Car... (yes, we got a new to us car... more on that later...)
We headed across town, crossing bridges, and weaving through the city all along the river that runs through Portland. It was a completely beautiful Classic Oregon early evening, Sun off in the distance and an insanely intense flash rain storm. We headed to the Produce Market to stock up on veggies and fruit. We bought beautiful red rhubarb, and sweet plump strawberries. Red beautiful tomatoes and fresh basil, small globe artichokes, and super green thin asparagus... so good. We picked up a hunk of goat cheese and farm eggs and a loaf of crusty bread. Than we headed home.

For dinner I sliced the tomatoes and tossed them with basil and roasted red peppers. I nestled the goat cheese in the middle and toasted up the crusty bread. I scrambled up a huge pan of farm fresh eggs, and steamed up the artichokes. I sauteed up some asparagus and dressed it with little olive oil and kosher salt. Than we set it all out in the middle of our table and dug in. It was so good. I love that the boys eat goat cheese and asparagus, and have a huge love of artichokes... if I fed them artichokes for every meal they would be stoked.

As I sat back and looked at our awesome spread with a glass of wine in one hand, I wished I had gotten up and grabbed the camera.. but instead a soaked in my little family and enjoyed listening to what they had done that day, and the hilarious search for the very sought after artichoke heart.

After dinner, while B cleaned up and the boys took a bath, I made up some little tart shells. I combined the super sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb with a little sugar and cooked it down to make a gorgeous red, sweet filling.

While the boys and b played wii, I whipped up some heavy cream and filled our tart shells with the sweet and tart rhubarb filling and than shared a little sweet dessert with the boys. Than we all piled up on the couch. No T.V... No books.. just cuddled up... and fell asleep. All of us. I woke up around 3 a.m.... slipped out from under neath my two little men, covered them up with another quilt and than b and I headed to our own bed. It was such a good, and simple night, a night that makes me thankful for my little family.


Texas Becki said...

That is a sweet sweet post! thanks for sharing! It makes me miss the NW and you!