Sunday, June 5, 2011

Bake Sale!


Maple Bacon Scones, are you kidding me.

I figured since I invited a bunch of people to the bake sale for breakfast, I would need to provide something other than a bunch of cookies and cupcakes (although really for the kids, they thought they were in heaven, surrounded by cookies and cupcakes).
I wanted something that wasn't going to be too sweet, and had some substance to it.
I have a really great scone recipe that I love. So I tweaked it a bit, used Maple syrup and brown sugar for sweetness, and bacon instead of berries... next time I think I will do a brown sugar bacon, and maybe some cinnamon added. They were super good though, I personally prefer the straight up berry and lemon zest version, but always up to try something new
.
Here is the Scone recipe (with the cinnamon added that I think it needs)
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
  • 3 tablespoons Brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1/2 to 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
  • Salt
  • 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 2 3/4 cup crumbled bacon
  • 1 3/4 cups plus 2 teaspoons heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup pure Maple syrup
  • 1 large egg yolk lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons heavy cream, for egg wash
  • Coarse sanding sugar

Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or rub in with your fingers. (The largest pieces should be the size of small peas.) Toss in bacon. Pour in cream, and Maple, and stir until mixture just comes together. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and pat into a 1-inch-thick round.
Cut into triangles or whatever shape you want. Freeze for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush tops of scones with egg wash, and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 28 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Drizzle with Maple glaze.

Maple Glaze

1 1/2 tablespoons Maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk (or water)
1/2 to a cup of powdered sugar

Combine all ingredients and drizzle over scones.



enjoy!


0 comments: