Thursday, January 22, 2009

Stupid.

I am so frustrated...
**Warning**lots of complaining below... if you don't feel like reading my rant... I don't mind... but I feel better just getting it out...

I am supposed to ship out my first "line" sometime in the next two weeks to July Krause showrooms. Samples for shops to place orders from. You know what I have to do first, get my garments tested for lead, and pthalates. Do you know how or where to do this?
No, I didn't think so, because the people that passed this broad supposed to be helpful, but ill-conceived, ill-thought out, poorly written piece of legislation don't know either.

I am so annoyed, I don't know if the felt I use on my designs is toxic... I put my trust in the company I buy from, I know, I know, stupid me. I chose to use that line because they were made from post-consumer plastic bottles... I thought I was making the better choice, using something that was recycled, already had lived a life, and was getting a new one. I contacted the company, and guess what, they haven't responded... why because they are probably in the same freakin boat...

I use organic cotton garments made in America from American Apparel. I thought again I was making a better choice, buying organic, American made.... haven't heard a peep from them either....
I dye the shirts, I do feel kind of bad about that, but I love being able to choose my own colors.... and have been looking for a more earth friendly method... but come on...... I guess what is killing me, is that I don't know... what if I am using unsafe materials... the freakin bottles that I bought for my boys are now known as toxic for F's sake.. these were the bottles recommended by the nurses in the NICU....... Everything is freakin toxic... I can't hardly stand it...

I found out that the CPSIA right now is nothing more than a man answering a telephone... they know nothing.... The head of the CPSIA stepped down awhile ago and they haven't replaced him yet. Meanwhile, here I am supposed to be taking my first big step, trying to get burdy off the ground, a better life for my family, a home based business, which will allow me to be able to stay home and be with my kids, while still making a living.....but I am stopped dead in my tracks. I don't know what to do. I find myself getting sucked into political, legal crap that I don't want to have anything to do with. I have to go to weekly meetings, I have to devote precious time I don't have to a fighting a stupid law, that is a stupid answer to very big problems. It sucks, and makes me so angry. There are only 15 certified testing labs in the US.... only 15.... out of 105... do you know where most of the labs are... China... hmmm where this all freakin started in the first place.

If I chose to send one of my garments to one of the labs for certification, it would cost me around $600... that sucks.

This makes me just want to throw in the towel.

It makes me so sad, it is the big box companies that started this mess, and they are the ones that are going to be able to pull through. They are the ones that are going to be able to absorb the testing costs... it makes me sick.

What is a just starting company supposed to do?

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_gallery_4&listing_id=19923934

0 comments: